Vintage Books

Vintage Books

Monday, April 14, 2014

DC During Cherry Blossom Week is MAD!

I've been away from the blog since late last week because we had family visit from Massachusetts. Yes, I love having family up there in that historically rich state. I also love living in Maryland, another of the original colonies swelling with such vivid history.

A perk to living in Maryland; we are only twenty minutes from our nation's capital. Favorites abound in the big city and the history there is incredible. Architecture is awe inspiring and the feeling one gets once inside the city can truly overwhelm, that feeling of pride. The wonder of things of the past and the curiosity of who walked the same places you walk while visiting.

As today's blog title has you believe, last week was just MAD inside the city. It was the annual Cherry Blossom Festival week. For a quick History lesson, visit The National Park Service website and read all about it. Take some time to do a Unit Study with the kids or just read aloud from the site to them. My best advice to anyone local or those wanting to visit from afar, would be the same advice a Park Police Officer gave me when I pulled into a 'Bus Only' area near the Lincoln Memorial, and that was, "GO HOME!". He was quite polite but his joking tone suggested I must be out of my mind being there. Visiting family wanted to see some sites and my cousin has been accepted into a couple of the city's premier colleges and was looking at them first hand.

If you MUST go into town to see the grandeur of these stunning trees first hand, please try to do so early in the week of the festival in early spring for the closer you get to the finale weekend, the more crowded it gets.

Regardless of your political views, Washington DC is absolutely a MUST see for every family in this nation and most especially those of us that home educate as one could truly make an entire week, maybe even two, of it and have enough historical content and information gathered to cover American History for an entire school year.


Photos courtesy of the world wide web via image search.

*A footnote-as I link to many things in my blogs, please note that even I don't take every bit of information within the links as the final God's honest truth. Please use your own discernment and the links I share as a starting point to a journey of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment